Find out more on the elections.org.nz website

Some commonly asked questions

How do I know whether I am enrolled?

The Electoral Commission will be undertaking a roll update campaign at the start of July 2019. If you do not receive an enrolment update pack in the mail in the first week of July, you will need enrol or update your details.

You can check to see if you are enrolled or check your details at www.vote.nz or by phoning 0800 36 76 56 to have an enrolment form sent to you. It is important that you are listed at the right address so you receive your election voting papers in the mail.

Where can I view the electoral roll that will be used for this election?

The preliminary electoral roll will be available for public inspection at all Council offices from Friday 19 July 2019 to Friday 16 August 2019.

Far North District Council:

  • Council’s Main Office (Memorial Avenue, Kaikohe)
  • Kaitaia Service Centre (Te Ahu, Corner Matthews Avenue and South Road, Kaitaia)
  • Kerikeri Service Centre (60 Kerikeri Road, Kerikeri)
  • All FNDC-operated libraries 

Kaipara District Council:

  • Council’s Main Office (42 Hokianga Road, Dargaville)
  • Mangawhai Office (Unit 6, The Hub, 6 Moleswoth Drive, Mangawhai)

Whangarei District Council:

  • Customer Services, Forum North (Rust Avenue, Whangarei)
  • Ruakaka Service Centre (9 Takutai Place, Ruakaka)

How do I enrol to vote in these elections?

You need to complete an enrolment form for this. You can either:

  • enrol online at  www.vote.nz
  • ring 0800 36 76 56
  • send your name and address to Freetext 3676
  • pick a form up at your local New Zealand Post Shop

I am a student and spend my time in different places. Where should I enrol?

You should enrol where you spend the greater part of your time.

I am a New Zealand Māori; do I need to enrol on the Māori roll?

Not necessarily. If you are enrolling for the first time you can decide whether you want to go on the Parliamentary Māori Electoral Roll or the Parliamentary General Electoral Roll by signing the appropriate panel on the parliamentary elector enrolment form.

The choice of roll will not affect the candidates you can vote for in the local elections.

Once you’re enrolled, you can only change roll types during the Māori Electoral Option. The last Māori Electoral Option was in 2018, and the next Option is scheduled to take place in 2024.

We own a business in a different District to where we live do we get a say in the District Council elections where our business is located?

Yes, subject to being eligible as a non-resident ratepayer elector and becoming enrolled.

A non-resident ratepayer enrolment form is available by phoning 0800 922 822.

The non-resident ratepayer enrolment form should be returned to the electoral officer by 16 August 2019.  If you enrol after 16 August 2019, you won’t get your voting papers sent to you in the mail. You’ll have to request special voting papers from your local council’s electoral officer.

Contact an electoral officer

I own a property in a different District to my full time residence. How do I get on the Ratepayer Electoral Roll?

Is your name on the rates notice?  Yes

You may be eligible to be on the ratepayer electoral roll. Contact the electoral office on 0800 922 822 and request a ratepayer enrolment form. This should be returned to the electoral officer by 16 August 2019. If it is after Friday 16 August 2019, a special voting document will need to be requested and will be issued on 20 September 2019, the start of the voting period.

If it is easier you can call at a special voting venue during the voting period (Friday 20 September 2019 to 12 noon Saturday 12 October 2019) and complete the ratepayer enrolment form and have your special vote at the same time.

In no case does this allow you to have two votes at an election.

Is your name on the rates notice?  No

You may not be eligible to be on the ratepayer electoral roll. Contact the electoral office on 0800 922 822.